This term we have been learning all about the Marae. We have learned that…….
- The Marae is an important focal point for the community.
- The Marea is a place where tradition and customs can be carried out.
- The Marae is a place where people can express their values with dignity.
- There are many kawa ( protocols) that prevail on the marae.
- Marae kawa (protocols) can differ between maraes and iwi.
We have focussed on some key concepts when doing this learning.
These are listed and explained in the table below.
give the meaning of these concepts in your own words.
Customs and traditions
Traditional welcoming ceremony
People who are connected to the local marae through some kind of connection eg. Ancestors
The visitors at a marae
Where you stand
Belonging to a family
Care for someones well being
Concerned about someone's health, love
See this video for an explanation of the roles and responsibilities of people on a marae.
Something I would like to learn more about the marae isHow long it takes to make a marae and how a powhiri works